Matt’s chocolate orange marble cake recipe!
To celebrate the coincidence of national chocolate week and national baking week, we’ve decided to share Matt’s chocolate orange marble cake recipe. The dessert was originally a favourite on our previous a la carte menu, however it now only makes an occasional star appearance as our “cake of the week.” We welcome you all to try the recipe at home yourselves, but please do let us know how you get on. Good Luck!
Chocolate orange marble cake
Ingredients (serves 8-12)
- 250g self-raising flour (sieved)
- 250g caster sugar
- 250g unsalted butter (softened)
- 5 whole eggs
- 50ml of milk
- 50g cocoa powder
- Zest of 2 oranges
- Juice of 1 orange
- 100g chocolate chips (double this for melted chocolate on top)
- Pre-heat your oven to 160 degrees celcius
- Cream together the butter and caster sugar in a large mixing bowl until pale in colour
- Gradually add the eggs 1 at a time, mixing each one in fully. This mix may look split, but don’t worry it will come back together when you add the flour
- Now fold the flour in to the mixture gradually, until you have a smooth batter
- Split the batter into 2 bowls
- In one bowl add the zest and juice of the orange with the chocolate chips and mix well
- In the other bowl add the cocoa powder and milk and mix well
- Line a 12-inch baking tin with grease proof paper and a little bit of butter to help the grease proof stick
- Place the orange cake batter into the bottom of the cake tin and level out
- Pour the chocolate cake batter on top of the orange cake batter and using a skewer, place the tip to the bottom of the cake tin and begin to ripple the cake mixes together, being careful not to over mix them
- Smooth the cake mix on top and place in the pre-heated oven to bake for 35 to 45 minutes
- Use a clean skewer to check if the cake is done; if the skewer comes out clean the cake is cooked
- Place on a cooling rack for a few minutes to cool slightly before removing from the tin
- Serve on its own warm with thick double cream or ice-cream. Drizzle melted chocolate on top for something a little special
Enjoy! Please send us across any photos of your masterpieces to firstname.lastname@example.org!
If you don’t fancy getting your hands dirty, book a table with us today?